Sep 26, 2013

"Girls" by the Beastie Boys

RIP Adam Yauch
 
 
A classic!  This song brings me back to high school, and I used to play it on my mp3 player that only held 25 songs.  Beastie Boys held one of those precious spots.  Last night at the box, they played amazing music (Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc), but there were only 2 men and 6 women, so this song seemed most appropriate.  And it turned out to work for today, too!  I'll get to that.
 
Yesterday, I went with Elizabeth to Crossfit with the intention of staying for Skinnyfit afterward, except I underestimated the WOD.  It was a hero WOD named for soldier, Travis Manion, who was killed while serving in Iraq several years ago.
 
7 Rounds for Time:
400 m run
29 back squats (Rx: 135/95)
 
30:00 cap
 
It was a LOOONG 30 minutes!  I only complete 4 rounds with 65 lbs.  That's a total of 1600m run and 116 squats.  I probably could have pushed harder, but my butt and thighs were feeling it, today.
 
Today, was another named WOD, "Nasty Girls."  Brandon (coach) said it was named as such because it contains elements of 3 WODs with women's names. (Why girls' names?)
 
3 Rounds for Time:
 
50 squats
 
20:00 cap
 
Followed by Tabata (20 seconds on/10 seconds off) of alternating plank and superman.  It was a small class, so I can't decide if I like going in the evening better or the morning.
 
I scaled my weight to 65 lbs and did knees to chest for muscle ups, which is a scale for toes to bar, which is a scale for muscle up transitions.  (We use rings, not bars), so needless to say, I'm far from where I "should" or want to be.  But I felt like a beast.  Finished at 14:27.  I loved tonight's workout, honestly!  It came up that I was tempted to go to Taco Bell earlier today, and the coach said, "Just so you know your coaches are human.  Frank came in here the other day and said, 'You guys, I have to tell you something.  I don't know why, but I had to stop on the way here.  I ordered 2 whoppers, fries, coke....it was terrible, but I ate it all."  Haha!  Nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles.  In fact, a much fitter gentleman said "Good job!" for resisting fast food and says he eats Graeter's ice cream every night. We bond in so many ways.
 
And since it was a small class, this came up, too...the four person push up.  I didn't partake, and they attempted twice, having gotten up for just a second.  But so cool.  I feel like I love doing Crossfit more and more and I love the community aspect of it, more.
 
Note, last week we did a 5 min workout (3:00 wall balls/2:00 burpees).  Timmy, another coach, had us pair up so we could count reps for each other.  I ended up doing a lot more than I thought, even though I took a lot of breaks and felt like I was dying.  67 wall balls/14 burpees.  And also, in that class, a girl (whose name I don't even know), stayed back and ran with me during the warm up.  I was with a bunch of people (bunch being 6) I didn't usually crossfit with, but it still felt welcoming.  I've never felt this confident or outgoing in a gym setting.  And I NEVER wanted to talk to anyone at the gym before.  Nice to have nice firsts.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment