Apr 9, 2014

Oh yeah, food!!!

Oh, and as for that nutrition challenge back in January 2014.  I did okay.  I only lost 5 lbs, but I did lose my craving for sugar (or at least learned to manage it).  I don't have any bread, candy, pasta, canned soup, frozen meals, anything really that comes from a box, deli meat, "fake meat," canned vegetables, rice, or conventionally processed dairy in my pantry or fridge.  With the occasional exception, of course.  I eat out, and I have cheat meals, but they don't send me spiraling. 

I'm completely over diet soda (I used to be on the bandwagon, thinking it was okay, because it was calorie free) and fake sugars.  If I am going to drink poison, it might as well taste good, right?  Yay for the occasional (and I mean, one every few months) coke!  I try to avoid all sugar.  I don't eat many bananas.  I try to eat lower sugar fruits (berries, granny smith apples), or just one or two fruits a day at most.  It was amazing to me  how sweet granny smith apples tasted once I gave up all the sugary crap.

I added a bunch of recipes to my collection, too.  And I continue to.  Some are:

paleo chicken tenders
guacamole
brussel sprouts and bacon
sticky coconut chicken
paleo Cincinnati chili
spaghetti squash pizza pie
buffalo chicken dip (my friend made this one: shredded organic chicken breasts, Frank's red hot sauce, organic cream cheese, clean ranch dressing, raw cheddar--thrown into the crockpot and served with celery)
grainless granola (gotta play around with this one)
grainless pancakes
beef sweet potato stew

Also learned that I love some products that are staples of my diet, now!

Raw, organic or grass fed cheddar (Organic Valley or whatever they have at Trader Joe's)
plantain chips
Salsa (all kinds!)
unsalted and unroasted nuts (pistachios, cashews, almonds)
bacon! (Hormel or Applegate Farms to avoid nitrates and added preservatives)
cage free eggs (still not sure which ones I should be buying.  Any insight would be helpful!)
clean meat (Kroger's Simple Truth has coupons and sometimes their chicken thighs, steaks, or pork products are on sale/clearance, and of course there is always the local farms!)
Grain Free pizza (Against All Grains, topped with Olli pepperoni and veggies from the salad bar at Whole Foods)

I'm learning to be obnoxious about what I put into my body, but also not beating myself up for the occasional slip up.  I did find it was easier to have a cheat meal at the end of the week vs. the beginning because by that point, I already had a good week of eating behind me.  Otherwise, I would have had to challenge myself to have a week of good eating ahead of me.  Oh, and despite recommendation from the head coach, I'm not into protein powder.  Plant based and organic or not, I just don't like it.  I'll have some plain greek yogurt in my smoothie (no more than a couple a week) instead, please. 

Definitely more expensive, and definitely worth the investment.  I want to do another cycle.  It will take more than a few weeks to rid myself of a lifetime of bad habits and regular sugar consumption.  So glad to be on this road to health that is ever changing and turning.  No quick fixes here, but lifestyle changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment