Oct 17, 2013

"Without Me" by Eminem

Yes, I love Em.  I pretended not to like him in middle school because I didn't want to be a "bad kid," and I denied loving him in high school because I wanted to have "expanded" music tastes, I lied about liking him in college because I didn't want to be a sellout.  Seeing as he had just become a "legitimate" artist around the time I was in college, with some actual vocal training it seems.  Anyways, all bets are off.  I'm 26.  I'm barely ashamed of anything.  I love Eminem.  Even though he can be a prick, he doesn't give a shit what you think and he's happy doing his thing, no matter how hurtful, unacceptable, or inappropriate.  I don't always love how bigoted he can be, but he sure can jam.  There has been a lot of Eminem playing this week at the box.  It's like a throw back to my youth (or youthier youth; I'm still young).  Half the songs I forgot I knew, and I almost feel as if I am redeeming my shy, underappreciated (by me) self from way back when.  I was okay then, but I'm cool, now.  I like listening to these songs as a "cool" person.  Cheese-tastic moment, over.

Since my last post, I've gone to Crossfit every day this week (3 days in a row, whoa).  One of the coaches that I like is on his honeymoon, and so I've had Megan and Matt all week, which is cool, because of course I like them, too.  On Monday, we did a really confusing workout, that included cleans, overhead squats, and over the bar burpees (where you jump over a barbell, laterally, between burpees, instead of extending up).  It was a partner workout, and I was paired with a girl named, Angela, who is similar to my ability, but stronger.  Because it was for time, we rushed through, and I have only ever done overhead squats about one time.  And Megan overestimated my strength a little with the cleans.  I cleaned 85lbs and squatted 65 lbs, which felt extremely heavy.  Seeing as I dropped it on my head (lightly) and it's a bit tender, now.  I also could barely go below parallel with the actual squat, which is weird for me, as I can squat much deeper than parallel, and that's the goal with all squats: consistency.  I tried the Rx weight for the cleans, which is 95 lbs for women, and after 1 rep, I got thrown backward, almost on my ass, but not quite.  Speed and coordination still aren't my forte!  We also worked on finding a new 1RM for push presses.  I got 100.  New PR.  I'm still a crossfit baby, so new PRs are coming fairly frequently for me.  But still, it's exciting.  Side note, burpees are a good punishment.  Crossfit Teens were having class at the same time, and the coach had said, "If you say 'shut up' to anyone, you have to do 5 burpees!"  And my friend, Elizabeth, who in retort to her husband's intentionally encouraging, but seemingly rude comment, said, "Shut up!" and was made to do the burpees.  So effective.  Haha.

Yesterday, we warmed up with a 400m run and 10 wall climbs.  I didn't do a single complete wall climb, but I'm getting more proficient with them.  My goal right now is to do at least 2 real ones everytime we have them in the workout.  We started with a 5min AMRAP.  With such a short amount of time, you are really encouraged to just give it your all and rest at the end.  It was 50 wall balls/15 toes to bar (or knees to chest, which is what I did), and your score was the total number of reps.  It was only the second time I had used the Rx wgt medicine ball for wall balls (14 lbs), as I usually wimp out and use 8 lbs.  My knees to chest looked a lot better, though, and they felt a lot better.  I stopped probably four times for a count of 5.  And I hit myself in the face with the medicine ball.  I also can't get it to the Rx height of 10 feet.  I get it barely 7 feet, sometimes.  But I'm gonna stick with the 14 lb ball and work on form and strength from here on out, not so much finishing.  Final score: 77 reps.  After that, we did not max out for back squats, but did 5 sets of 5 at 75%.  I did 85-95 lbs.  Those felt good; not hard, but okay.  My trap mm were killing today, but in a good, sore way.  Like, "Hey, I didn't know you were gonna use me for anything, ever!" said Angie's trap mm.  Megan also lead us through some hip mobility stretches with the large bands around the poles and stretching out the hard to stretch hip mm.  I liked them, but felt as if I was going to fling myself into the metal pole, which thankfully didn't happen.

Today, I went to the evening class and there were only 4 other people.  Which was great, because Matt, could really help us each with encouragement and technique.  We did 1 power snatch and 2 overhead squats every minute for 20 minutes.  I misread my notebook and thought I had only ever done snatches 1x, and that I only used the women's bar (35 lbs), so he suggested I start with the training bar (15 lbs) and build up with that.  So, I started with 35, and escalated to 70 by the 5 lbs over the 20 attempts.  However, I couldn't get 75 lbs.  What I actually snatched the last time, was 60 lbs, and I couldn't get 65 lbs, and that was 3 months ago.  So, the only difference, is that I may have started a little higher in the beginning, but since I couldn't get the 75 lbs, maybe 70 lbs really would have been my max, anyway.  It doesn't really matter, it was actually probably good for me to work on my form with the lower weights, seeing as snatches are really difficult for m.  I have a large chest, and the thrusting movement to get the bar above my head, just does not come naturally and my chest gets in the way (Side note: during my foundations classes, where I was first learning all the movements, I shared this sentiment with the head coach, Jen, and she had said she once had a client who had breast implants, and so in an effort to help her with her snatch technique, she googled, "big boob snatch," and DID NOT get what she was hoping to find!  Haha!), and I remember feeling insecure about my snatches, so you know what, I am glad I started low.  I felt really good about each attempt tonight, even if I did drop it a couple of times.  I was a little nervous about doing overhead squats, too, since I dropped it on my head the other night.  But Matt was able to watch me, and said it all looked great.  Yay!  After that, we did 100 pull aparts (imagine a large rubberband you hold out in front of you and then stretch apart) and 20 windmills/arm with a moderate weight kettle bell.  All good mobility stuff.

Having a good week.  I hope it continues.  I keep eating the Halloween candy that my manager has in the office.  Even with that, I am feeling good.  Angie <3 Crossfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment