Oct 19, 2013

"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar

Wish I had the music video for this song, but alas no.  It was like monster ballads 80s night at Skinnyfit the other night, and it totally worked!  Pat's video for "Love is a Battlefield" is the first music video I ever watched, and I have loved her (and developed my affinity for the decade in which I was born) ever since.  The other night, we did a series of AMRAPs for Skinnyfit.  I have been going directly from work lately, and barely making it on time.  And the nice thing about Skinnyfit is that it is always a surprise.  They technically try to post the WOD every morning, but sometimes they don't post it until midday or at all.  So, when I used to go at 7am, it was good, because I couldn't talk myself out of it.  That's how Skinnyfit has been.  It was a 5 min AMRAP of 20 DU or 50 singles/10 wall balls/5 toes to bar or knees to chest/1 wall walk.  Followed by a 2 min rest.  Then a 10 min AMRAP.  Followed by a 2 min rest (which turned into 3 min; we must have looked rough!), and then a 15 min AMRAP.  It was toooouuugh.  And it's only as tough as you push yourself.  I don't remember exactly how many rounds I got in, but it was a good one.  Again, Matt, the coach, is incredibly encouraging and helpful.  I didn't manage to do a full on wall walk at all, but I got closer, each time.  Wall balls are still hard for me with the 14 lb ball, but I think they're getting smoother.  Nobody likes wall balls.  They're just easier for some people than others.  My knees to chest felt a lot more precise and controlled this time, which was exciting.  Altogether, a good class.

Yesterday, my day couldn't have gone more smoothly.  I jam packed it with working in two buildings and then doing two workouts.  It started at 630am and went until 930pm, with times of rest in between, but still doing something.  Anyway, I rushed to the 530pm Crossfit class.  I'd never been on a Friday or at 530, and wasn't sure what to expect.  We did Deadlifts at 75% max 5x5 over 20:00.  Followed by AMRAP of holds for 15:00.  The holds were chin over bar (like in a pull up position) or scaled to ring rows (like gymnastic rings) to your chest (at an angle), followed by squat hold, and then a handstand or plank hold.  All for 30 sec each.  I scaled the chin to bar, as I can't even hold it for half a second.  And I scaled the hand stand hold to a head stand hold.  I attempted a hand stand (which I probably haven't done since 3rd or 4th grade), but I have a pretty solid head stand hold.  Was advised to push through my arms and not put all pressure on my neck.  OH, and I fell on my head when I tried the hand stand hold.  Haha.  Good class.  Low key, but good for a Friday.

I then went to a 2 hour Zumbathon in support of breast cancer research at a local high school.  A coworker invited me.  I used to love Zumba; it was my thing in college.  I am not coordinated, but it was fun.  I am not sure if it is because I was tired from Crossfit (unknowingly) or because it was Friday, but the first hour wasn't all that fun.  I wasn't being challenged and I was a little bored, to be honest.  The second hour was much better, and I had more fun trying to keep up with the movements.  Zumba always makes me laugh because I mess up, so often.  I noticed a distinct difference from when I did Zumba in college, though.  It's not that hard, now.  I wasn't breathing hard at all, and I had the strength to hold partial squats and arms at shoulder height for the duration of a song.  So neat to see and notice the difference.

As of yesterday, I think I am finally over the hump of gaining mm and am now losing weight, cause my scale number is consistently going down.  Maybe just a pound or so a week, but it doesn't go up, so to me that shows long-term weight loss.  Very exciting!  I had a Skyline burrito to celebrate.  Haha.

I did not go to Crossfit today, even though I worked in the time.  I started my vacation from work, early, instead.  But I might go try to work on that hand stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment