Jan 1, 2013

Song of the Day: "Beauty and the Beat" by Justin Bieber feat. Nicki Minaj


This song pumps me up.  I am a pop music junkie and that Bieber is a good kid!

Hello there, the very few people who read this or ever will!  It's been a while, but life has been hectic.  Started a job in October (my first big girl one, as a speech therapist in a nursing home in Middletown, OH), moving in with friends from grad school and their 6 yr old daughter, moving my parents out of their house currently, acquired a nephew, and settling into being an adult, while hanging onto moments with my friends and family as much as possible.

I completed my first half-marathon on 10/20/12...the Cincinnati Half Marathon (http://www.cincyhalfmarathon.com/), claiming to be "no frills" racing.  There is no music, few cheerleaders, and just a few snacks and drinks afterward.  It was straightforward, not too hilly, and a freaking struggle to complete!  The beats of Nsync, Usher, Eminem, Ke$ha, etc brought me across that finish line.  My time was long (over 3 hours), but my goal was just to finish it, and that's what I did!  I feel like I can complete more physical feats than ever before.  I admittedly took a break from running/any extra physical movement afterwards, but I still feel good about it.  I helped a friend, Kate, finish her longest race, on Thanksgiving Day.  The 103rd Annual Turkey Trot race in Cincinnati, OH (http://www.thanksgivingdayrace.com/), over 10k people there.  And a 10k.  It was exhilarating to be running again, and on a cold crisp day through Cincinnati's highs and lows.  Also enjoyed seeing batman, people running dressed as turkeys, and celebrating with Thanksgiving dinner that day!

Today is the first day of 2013, and the first day to a new commitment to my health.  It started with recovering from last night's festivities, having the day off work, and attending my second Crossfit class (http://crossfit-cornerstone.com/)  at Cornerstone Crossfit.  I ended up getting sick in the middle of it, but I finished my scaled version (see below), but felt amazingly tired and exhilarated after.  My hope is to do this 2x a week and pair it with running short distances 2-3x a week.  Maybe something else here and there.  And to eat well 75% of the time.  Wish me luck!

Skinnyfit WOD:
4 rounds of (for time):
25 burpees (sub mountain climbing)
25 pull ups (sub ring pulls or jump ups)
25 kettle bell swings
25 box jumps (sub step ups)
AND THEN
500 singles (jump rope)

What I did:
1 full round
8 burpees/15 ring pulls/15 kettle bell swings (15 lbs)/20 step ups and 5 box jumps
10 burpees/25 ring pulls/25 kettle bell swings/15 step ups and 10 box jumps
10 mountain climbs/25 ring pulls/25 kettle bell swings/15 step ups and 10 box jumps
AND THEN
125 singles

No comments:

Post a Comment